A selection of articles about buildings and places with a connection to Chippenham.
Click the links to open the article as a .pdf document in a new tab window
A short history of the Little George Inn in New Road, Chippenham and an account of the Fire in 1903.
The Constitutional Club in Foghamshire is over 100 years old.
Don Little give us a short history of this imposing building.
Joseph Neeld (1789-1856) is seen as one of Chippenham’s greatest benefactors.
He also owned many other villages and contributed to the building of local churches. His main legacy was the rebuilding of Grittleton House near Chipppenham.
This article by Isabel Blackburn outlines his work and discusses the Romanesque architecture of Grittleton House.
The Town Mill
Often forgotten or hidden in the undergrowth, milestones are the signposts we no longer refer to, but they are a reminder of an age when that extra mile was very important when travelling on foot or by horse. Andrew Baddeley-Chapell points us in the right direction in this article.
The Yelde Hall Restoration in 2016.
The Evolution of Bowood House and Estate Since 1945
Bowood Park was once part of the Royal Forest of Chippenham. Today Bowood House is part of the Historic Houses Association. In this report by Dr Robert Blackburn, Lord Lansdowne outlines the history and devlopment of Bowood House from 1945 up to the present day.